Have you seen my Mommy?

I’m always looking to improve as a photographer, and you should too!  For me, that means breaking away for a spell from HDR, and trying something different.  I promised myself that, over the next year, I would make the time to learn as much as I could about off-camera lighting, and I would use the skills I developed to branch out into other areas of photography.  So, today, I asked one of my daughters if I could borrow her hair-styling doll so I could play around a bit with my strobes (another word for flash, for those who may not know).  I shot this particular image with my D700, my 70-200mm VR (at 200mm), an SB-900 positioned left of camera, and an SB-800 positioned behind the head as a rim light.  While this is my first attempt at this, I have to say I am pretty pleased with the initial results. The other thing I like is that I needed to do absolutely no post processing.  What a time saver it is to get the shot right in camera!  While I’m not giving up on HDR, for sure, this is going to be a great skill to develop and add to my arsenal!

January 12, 2011 - 22:51

Mike Olbinski Awesome…I mean, kind of creepy because dolls creep me out, but I like the lighting 🙂

January 12, 2011 - 23:01

Toad Hollow Photography Hey now, that’s awesome! I’m going to be embarking on a similar journey in the next couple months here, great to watch you progress my friend!

January 13, 2011 - 00:09

Jacques Thanks, gents. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than this to do, but the Nikon Creative Lighting System and the ability to use the D700’s built in flash as a COMMANDER made life oh so easy! Now I have to find some people to photograph.

January 13, 2011 - 00:22

John Sotiriou Superb job! I particularly like the bokeh on the doll’s hair.

January 13, 2011 - 00:31

murphyz Great shot, and very lovely looking to say no pp was required. To be honest you lost me a little as to how you set the lights up in your description as that means nothing to me, and I think it’ll be a while before I care to learn.
(Less creepy subject next time, please :o)

January 13, 2011 - 12:25

Jim Denham I’d say you’re well on your way with this project Jacques! Good work!

January 13, 2011 - 22:45

Chris Kenison Nice job! That turned out very nice indeed!