Nifty Fifty

I know I mentioned this before, but I’ll say it again now.  I have too dang many lenses, and it’s cramping my style… or at least my creativity.  That’s why I decided, the last time I went out on an Urban Explore, to limit myself to taking just a few with me.  On top of that, I forced start the day off with one of my favorite, but oft neglected lenses: the Nifty Fifty!  That’s right, the 50mm (in this particular case, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, a great lens for detail shots.  I keep forgetting how much I love this focal length, not to mention the creamy bokeh (that wonderful blur, for those not familiar with the term bokeh).  For this particular photograph, I closed her down a bit from f/1.4 to f/2 to get just a touch more depth of field, and this is the result.  I was REALLY quite pleased with all I was able to do with the Fifty (or Fiddy if you will), and I know I’ll have to take her out more often to keep the creative spark alive!

February 5, 2011 - 21:59

Heath O’Fee Awesome shot, dude! And I’m in the same boat with the 50mm…definitely need to put it to more use when out shooting.

February 5, 2011 - 22:03

Jim Denham Awesome detail and overall tone Jacques! I love my fiddy and it hardly comes off the camera these days!

February 5, 2011 - 22:07

Toad Hollow Photography I love this shot Jacques, really wonderful composition here. I found it to be a very expressive image full of emotion. Gotta love your Fiddy there my friend!

February 5, 2011 - 22:31

Jacques Thanks, guys! The more I think about how I used to shoot when I was a kid, with my Pentax K1000 and a 50mm lens almost exclusively, the more I want to go back to that simplicity. I’m actually considering a long-term project using just the 50mm and a 90mm to shoot everything. We’ll see, once I’ve had a chance to develop my ideas a bit more in that regard.

February 5, 2011 - 22:35

Jacques By the way, I let my daughter, who’ll turn 11 this April, have my D700 and my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G (my other Fiddy), and she came back with some amazing shots. I set it to Aperture priroty, Auto ISO and f/2 before I handed it to her. Her compositions were really great, and I had given her no tips in that regard as I wanted her to shoot how she “sees” instead of how I “see”.

February 5, 2011 - 23:09

Scott This shot is moody and fun. Nice job

February 5, 2011 - 23:36

Tom Oh man this is so beautiful. Great comp, great color, great bokeh and you really evoked some emotion with that fifty. Truly inspiring.

February 6, 2011 - 00:11

Dave Great shot here, nice stylish close-up composition and the dull coloration is wonderful. I like your idea to limit yourself, sometimes you can have too much choice. Whatever you do, keep on shooting. 🙂

February 6, 2011 - 00:53

Jacques Hey fellas; thanks! And you can bet your bottom pound sterling that I’ll keep on shooting, Dave. I may even take the Lensbaby out to play with it a bit as well, since it, too, is a 50mm lens.

February 6, 2011 - 20:58

Bob Lussier Wonderful shot, Jacques, and an inspiration to me. I promised my self I would revisit some older shots. I think I now where to start.

February 6, 2011 - 21:00

todd sweet shot. love the tone of this image

February 6, 2011 - 21:00

todd sweet%20shot.%20%20love%20the%20tone%20of%20this%20image

February 7, 2011 - 13:49

mark blundell Nice DoF and processing – you should be very hiappy with this. I have a ‘Fiddy’ too, but its been superceeded by my 60mm macro, I should take it out for a spin again though, it’ll lighten my bag!

February 5, 2011 - 22:22

Tweets that mention Nifty Fifty » Exposed by the Light — Topsy.com […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chris Nitz, S C Moore, Toad Hollow, Jim Denham, Heath O'Fee and others. Heath O'Fee said: RT @fotofreq: New #photo and #blog post up, this one on shooting #urbex #hdr at Aylum 'T' with Nifty Fifty! http://bit.ly/e1ARMA <- Nice! […]