what you missed while you were sleeping…

I really liked this scene, especially the interesting wallpaper and the almost shroud-like linen dressing gown laid out across this old hospital ward bed at Asylum “T”.  I could have shot this at an angle, but I really liked the view head on facing the side of the bed because of all the great lines.  I also liked the soft light coming in the window at the left, flowing down ever so gently across the delicate material of this long discarded gown.  I can imagine the last person to have worn it while sleeping so “peaceful” and deep, like a child, while the world passed on by outside.  How much, I wonder, did this person miss while they were sleeping and time marched on?

By the way, this is another shot I grabbed using my 50mm lens, with which I’ve falen in love all over again.  I shot this one closed down to f/8, rather than wide open to f/1.4 as I usually prefer when trying to isolate the subject.

February 11, 2011 - 23:13

Mark Blundell really nice processing – the high key look suits this a treat!

February 11, 2011 - 23:17

John Sotiriou Fantastic image. Great back story, as well.

February 11, 2011 - 23:21

steve I must have been sleeping, because I sure missed this “Photo Op!” Beautiful shot Jacques! The wallpaper is really is the star here, although the cot plays a brilliant best supporting role here!

February 11, 2011 - 23:30

Toad Hollow I love this image! The gown really creates a sense of drama and intrigue!

February 11, 2011 - 23:37

Theresa Jackson I’m not sure if this is super and creepy or super creepy, but I love it either way. Toad, for me the emotional response goes way beyond drama and intrigue. Makes me wonder what happened to me when I was sleeping 🙂

February 11, 2011 - 23:39

Jeff hall This one really stands out! One can just barely imagine the visions seen from this bed…

February 11, 2011 - 23:47

Dave Like your straight on approach to this shot, there’s something almost graphic design about it. That wallpaper is migraine inducing. Nice one!

February 12, 2011 - 00:03

Jacques Heh heh! Yeah, that was some dizzying wallpaper, especially when you stare at it awhile. I wonder of it was carefully chosen by the Asylum’s staff to ensure the patients remained… calm? Thanks for all the great comments, my friends!!

February 12, 2011 - 00:06

Brian Matiash Oh man, this is one of my favorites of yours. The wallpaper is clutch. Perfectly seen.

February 12, 2011 - 00:18

Bob Lussier Look up the word “perfection” in the dictionary. You’ll see this image.
I agree with Theresa. It is an emotional image. It begs to tell its own story.

February 12, 2011 - 03:42

Jim Denham Great thoughts and image Jacques. One would think this was still in order with the exception of the leaves and stuff on the floor under the bed. Well done my friend!

February 12, 2011 - 17:59

Viveca Koh This IS a very peaceful image, I could just sit and look at this for ages …… I could certainly write a story about it ….

February 13, 2011 - 09:08

Mike Olbinski Absolutely amazing work…stunning composition and brilliant subject. The hanging gown totally makes the image, but the wallpaper and everything else is just amazing.

February 11, 2011 - 23:36

Tweets that mention what you missed while you were sleeping… » Exposed by the Light — Topsy.com […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Scott Wyden Kivowitz, Erik Kerstenbeck, Toad Hollow, Chris Nitz, Abby Elliott and others. Abby Elliott said: Awesome shot! Beautifully done! RT @fotofreq What you missed while you were sleeping… http://bit.ly/eJyWOq #hdr #urbex #50mm #tog […]