Who controls the key?

Walking through the woods around the abandoned Soviet Nuclear Missile Base Z, never quite sure what I might run into, was exhilarating.  It goes without saying that coming across an intact nuclear storage bunker was quite surreal.  The side you see here is the back side of a 100 meter long storage bunker, covered entirely with trees and dirt.  Anyone flying over this thing back in the day would have had a dang hard time finding it, I’d wager.  Sure wish I could have gotten in to see what the inside looked like.  Come to think of it, I wonder how many RADs this place would register on a Geiger counter these days?

March 13, 2011 - 19:54

Toad Hollow Photography GOOD GOD Jacques, what an image and story you’ve spun for us today! Amazing. I can’t even begin to imagine what it must have felt like to be here, finding these photographic gems! GREAT work my friend, I just love following your expeditions!

March 13, 2011 - 20:03

Jacques Hi, Toad. Hope you’re having a great Sunday. And thanks a ton for the comments on this one; really glad you like seeing some of these hidden jewels. Hope to get some more good stuff out from this place in the coming weeks.

March 13, 2011 - 20:08

John Sotiriou Very eerie. I envy the locations available to you. Although, I probably wouldn’t have been as envious 60 years ago!

March 13, 2011 - 22:48

Jim Denham What a find! It’s amazing how knowing the background of a photo can invoke certain emotions about it where otherwise not knowing them would invoke nothing. Had you not explained what this bunker was, one might just say, “it’s a neat bunker.” Knowing what was there, a certain chill comes about. Where was this one pointed? Who’s name was on it? Eerie feeling, but very cool all the same! Well done Jacques!

March 14, 2011 - 12:52

KellieC J, My Dad was an MP back in the day when such things were starting. He had great stories to tell from Germany! Thanks for taking a picture that adds life to his stories for me. It’s gorgeous

March 16, 2011 - 00:15

Mark Blundell Nice find – almost Urbex Gold 😉

This must have been all hustle and bustle back in the day.

great processing – its got your trademark ethereal feel.