It’s all in the details

When it comes to URBEX (Urban Exploration), my wide-angle lenses are indispensable.  In fact, I shoot most of my work in the closes spaces I find using lenses in the 14 to 24 mm range.  Still, it is critically important (and richly rewarding) to spend time exploring the many details to be found in the URBEX environment with either a 50mm 1.4 lens, or even a 90mm macro lens, like I did in this shot, where I photographed the details of this gauge and the mirror the operator used to read it from an angle while manipulating controls at the side of the machine and out of direct view of the actual gauge.

(UPDATE:  Thanks all for checking this out and commenting.  Those blown highlights in the window continue to distract my eye, so, based on a suggestion I received in another forum, I cropped it out and kind of like the latest version (below) better.  What do you all think?)

May 17, 2011 - 14:17

Chris Nitz Really liking the grime on this, but I also like how you can see the reflection of the gauge in the mirror. Great work!

May 18, 2011 - 04:35

Jacques Thanks all. BTW, those blown highlights in the window still bother me. Per a suggestion I received elsewhere, I cropped it out and kind of like what I came back with better. I’ve added it below the original image for you all to decide which version is better. Cheers.

May 17, 2011 - 16:49

Chris Frailey Awesome reflection in the mirror. Nice job.

May 17, 2011 - 19:36

Toad Hollow Photography Love love love the DOF on this shot Jacques! What a great and dramatic image you’ve captured here my friend!

May 17, 2011 - 21:04

Mark Garbowski I might never have thought of using a macro like this. Great work.

May 17, 2011 - 21:10

Mark Blundell great work – I totally agree with your comments – I have 5 lenses that I generally take out – the only two I ever use are the 8-16 and 60mm macro. I could live with these two alone.

well seen with the reflection and top frequery with the processing.

May 18, 2011 - 02:51

Adam Olson Awesome detail! Gotta love the grunge!

May 18, 2011 - 04:24

Curt Fleenor Great image-I love the shallow depth and especially the detail of the reflection.

May 18, 2011 - 10:28

Malcolm Hunt I like the isolation from the surroundings. The red dial and dirty mirror are just great. I think I prefer the top image regardless of the window.

May 18, 2011 - 14:36

Jacques Great feedback form all of you. Thanks!

May 19, 2011 - 22:48

Justin You know it already, but I like the crop! See you tonight.