Ghost Tank

So my lovely wife says to me, “You haven’t posted any pictures for awhile.”  Conversation ensued about possibly giving up on shooting for awhile.  Interestingly, I had actually even considered selling off all my camera equipment,  or, at the very least, really culling my gear down to the bare essentials.  Still debating that.  In the meantime, here is a shot from a recent URBEX visit to a tank graveyard somewhere in former East Germany.

June 8, 2011 - 22:33

Bob Lussier If you sell your gear and stop shooting I will lead an Internet revolution. We will rise up and quell any thoughts you may have about abandoning the art. There will be thousands of Twitter Twerps banging at your door in Berlin and clicking away at our own cameras … millions of actuations in protest!

There will be no escape for you.

June 8, 2011 - 22:34

Bob Lussier And Tanks for this image. Great one.

June 8, 2011 - 22:41

chrisdmrf Love it

June 8, 2011 - 22:47

Toad Hollow Photography I’m with Bob, I’ve got a plane ticket and a DSLR and I ain’t afraid to use it!

Great shot here Jacques!! Love the textures of that crazy tank there.

June 9, 2011 - 02:31

Scott Wyden Kivowitz Amazing detail and color

June 9, 2011 - 02:47

Tom Barnett That’s crazy talk! I’m jumping on the plane with Bob and Toad! And I’ll bring my long lens!
Seriously well composed and processed image!

June 9, 2011 - 05:25

Edith Levy Jacques,

You’re images are fabulous.

Edith

June 9, 2011 - 07:16

Jacques Man, you all crack me up!! If that’s what it takes to get you all down here, then… Seriously, though, thanks! You all are awesome.

June 9, 2011 - 10:31

Steve Dude! If you’re thinking of selling your gear, let me know! I’m in the market for an upgrade!

June 9, 2011 - 14:00

Jerry Denham Incredible image as usual Jacques. Your images inspire us all to create better photographs. It would be a travesty for you to lay down your equipment and give up this craft. Can’t afford to fly across with Bob, Toad, and Tom but would definitely want to be with them

June 9, 2011 - 15:22

Luís dos Santos hope that idea of selling your photo equipment was nothing more than a momentary lapse of reasoning! Great image you delivered here, looking forward to many more!

June 9, 2011 - 15:23

Scott Frederick Jacques, I think you were having a bad dream. Wake Up!!!! 🙂 Great shot!

June 9, 2011 - 15:27

Jan Winther Great shot. Love the angle you chose. As usual, excellent processing.

June 9, 2011 - 18:16

Jason Hines I am also with Bob, Toad & Tom – You’re a very talented photographer and you really have a gift for what you do. While we all have days that we feel unmotivated, passion is something that never rests for long. So while you may feel uninspired now, don’t make any rash decisions as you may regret it in the future. All the best to you!

June 9, 2011 - 18:17

Jason Hines BTW – awesome image!

June 9, 2011 - 20:07

Barbara Youngleson You are not allowed to toy with us that way, Jacques. When in doubt, do nothing! Your work inspires so many of us. Oh, by the way, I love this image. It contains all of my favorite elements; metal, rust, peeling paint and processed by you!

June 9, 2011 - 21:47

Jacques Luís – I think it could be a momentary lapse of reason; at least I sure do hope that is what it is.

Steve – If I do decide to part with the gear, I’ll let you know, for sure. I’ll email you off-line so we can talk about what stuff you might be interested in.

Barbara – I do have to admit, your suggestion to “do nothing”, when in doubt, is great advice. I’ll most definitely think long and hard before making a move!

All – Again, many thanks for all the kind words. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a temporary creative funk.

June 10, 2011 - 07:28

Kristi Hines That would be such a shame… I don’t get to comment as much as I would like some weeks, but your photos are always awesome! Maybe you just need a new subject for your photos to focus on, and then you will feel that renewed sense of enthusiasm for photography! 🙂

June 10, 2011 - 12:33

Adam Allegro I agree with all the previous comments. Keep shooting. Photograph things that make you smile. Everyone gets in those funks… Ont he other hand, a break could be good for ya, it’ll remind you how much you love it. Don’t sell any of your stuff though, you may regret it! Hope to see more amazing shots from you!
Adam

June 10, 2011 - 15:09

Mike Olbinski Dude…your images taught me a lot about the beauty of light. I mean, when I went to my first urbex location for a few hours, this photo I shot because of you:

You can’t possibly shoot images like you do and give it up. Why??? Maybe take a break, get re-focused, or whatever, but don’t sell your gear.

You do good work man. Keep at it. We’ll all hate you anyways if you quit, and you don’t want that 🙂

June 10, 2011 - 17:02

Chris Nitz It would be a shame to see that you stopped shooting and sold your gear. It would be a bigger shame to have to come hunt you down, drag you into the street, and whack you with my D90 when I am in your neck of the woods in July, but I’ll do it 😉

Now seriously, I love your work and you provide me a lot of inspiration. I look up to your work and hope to one day be half as good as you. I can see milling down your gear, but it would be a shame to see you stop shooting all together.

I wish you the best in your debate, however it may turn out.

June 10, 2011 - 17:55

Hector Garza Dear Jaques.
Just to inform you I’m about to take legal action in case you continue with this.

Sincerely your.
Hector.

j/k

Just take a break. Sell some gear in case you need some money. But don’t give up on photography… you are a great inspiration.

June 10, 2011 - 18:45

Chris Frailey I’m with everyone else on this. It would be shame for you to give this up. You have a lot of talent and it shows in your work. Take some time off if you need a breather but keep the gear.

June 10, 2011 - 19:24

A.Barlow Alright man, first off nice shot. secondly, I have to say get that out of yer head! Keep on keep’n on as they say.

June 10, 2011 - 21:52

Jacques Can’t believe how many comments you great folks have left here for me as I contemplate my future, with regards to photography. The good news is I’ve not sold my gear yet. In fact, a very good family friend who is here visiting us from Greece thought I was crazy to consider ending my love affair with photography. As many here have suggested, I think some kind of breather is in order, or at the very least exploration of other photographic subjects, which I’m considering. I’d love to spend some time photographing people, perhaps even some “street photography”. I’ll be sure to post some results here, and will still post some of the hundreds of URBEX shots I’ve shot here in Germany, but have never even made the time to post-process. Have a great Friday!!

June 10, 2011 - 22:07

Heather Hi Jacques 🙂 I just found out about you, so you can’t quit! Take a breather if you must (nothing more than 2 weeks)get inspired from others, but DON’T QUIT! Ever. Ok, thank you 🙂

Heather~

June 10, 2011 - 22:09

Jim Denham Mr. Jacques, there’s not much to say here that hasn’t been said about your talent and abilities and I, too, would hate to see you pack it in, but it sounds like that is likely not to happen. Your creative eye and understanding of the craft will go well with any other type of photography, as you have shown in the past with macro and people, and I hope this type of move would help spur the inspiration and excitement that makes you who you are – one of the best photographers, and people, I’ve had the good fortune to interact with. Here’s looking to what the future holds for you and the benefits we will all reap from it!

June 10, 2011 - 22:15

Rob Hanson Dear Jacques —

I feel that you’re too strong of a talent to give up the glass. You even said in the comment just above that you have a “love affair” with photography.

Now, I love my wife very, very much, and we’ve been together a long time. As you might understand — since you’re married as well — the state of any love affair cannot always be “up and up and up.” Over the years, I’ve learned that anything that commands our attention simply cannot always be happy, hunky-dory, or even desirable — and that any love affair involves both Ups and Downs.

Were it not for the Downs, would we even recognize the Ups?

Buddhist teachings tell us to sit and experience the negative, rather than pushing it away. Get to feel it, know it, and relate to it directly, in a visceral way. Move into those feelings of wanting to chuck it all; find out where it comes from, and what it’s trying to teach you. Then realize that all things in life are a balance, and that we should not try to gather only positive things while pushing away what doesn’t please us.

If, after experiencing both sides of the equation — both the intense pain and the delicious pleasure of creative expression — you decide to move on to other things, then at least it will be a decision well considered.

It’s my hope that if you find out where this feeling is coming from and examine and integrate it carefully and with love, you’ll be an even better artist when you come out the other side. And considering your immense talent, that prospect both delights and humbles me.

You’re a bright light in the photo community.

With love,
Rob

June 10, 2011 - 23:28

Mark Garbowski Jacques

I have been an avid follower of many, many blogs over the years. Not just photography, but politics, pop culture, tech, personal chit chat and assorted nonsense. Most are non-commercial enterprises, and a substantial number of blog authors have made similar announcements. My advice response is always the same:

I love reading, and viewing, your output. I don’t want you to stop. But, you have to decide if this enterprise is worthwhile to you. I know how much work it is. If you decide it is no longer worthwhile, I can, and will, respect that.
If you have to take a break, do so. I definitely second Barbara’s advice not to sell your gear unless for some reason you must(that’s how I interpreted her “do nothing” suggestion), at least for a considerable time. Many people have taken breaks and come back. It is always a joy when a blog on hiatus suddenly shows new entries in my RSS feed reader.
I prefer that you not even take a break, but my wishes matter little. Reflect, and you will know what to do.
God bless my friend.
Mark

June 10, 2011 - 23:57

John First off I’d like to say that this is an amazing shot and I’d have never found it if it weren’t for Jason Hines so make sure you think him for sending me your way.

Secondly – Photography is definitely a hard, time consuming, and sometimes even aggravating thing to hold as a hobby. That pain is amplified if you’ve created a blog with readers always hungry for new and exciting photos from your camera. The thing is you can’t just give up you can’t quit, you started photography because you loved it, it was fun and exciting. Try and bring that joy back into your work and you’ll definitely be glad you didn’t sell off all your camera gear!

Best of luck!
John

June 11, 2011 - 12:32

Jacques Hey, friends! Thank you, again, for all the thoughtful comments. I really appreciate the time each of you have taken to weigh in. As some have noted, keeping up with a blog, particularly a photo blog, is really a challenge. I have to really congratulate those out there who do this kind of thing day in and day out, and still manage to keep things fresh. For the time being, I’ve decide to keep the gear, and to think very carefully about “what now?” before making any final decisions. As the spirit moves me, I’ll process and post some of the photographs laying around my hard drives; consider those shots place-holders, if you will, pending my return to more active shooting. I’m even thinking of taking the family to Northern California for a 10-week or so break from the real job to see what happens. I’ll let y’all know as things develop. BTW, anyone out there know much about Redding, CA? Good place to escape for awhile?

June 11, 2011 - 14:22

Heather YES! Go to Redding! Gorgeous! It’s on my list of places to go 🙂

June 14, 2011 - 14:19

Viveca Koh I understand the ‘creative funk’ all too well, being right in the middle of one myself, but it would be a great loss to the photography community if you were to give up so I hope you won’t! I think that sometimes these ‘blocks’ are an important part of growing creatively, of maybe expanding into different areas, stepping out of the comfort zone, challenging oneself to move in a different direction. I think what Rob Hanson says above is very wise, brilliant in fact, I am taking note of his words for myself as well. I wish you lots of encouragement and all the best whichever path you decide to take.

August 31, 2011 - 18:53

Friday Photo Spots Weekly Roundup & a Photo From Tempe Town Lake […] of you may already be familiar with a photographer by the name of Jacques Gude. For those that are not, he is a very talented travel photographer who has posted some amazing […]