X100 does HDR… and how!

Yesterday, a visitor to this website asked me how, exactly, I handle shooting High Dynamic Range photography with the X100, particularly when the dynamic range of light on the scene exceeds what a normal five-shot bracket set (+2, +1, 0, -1 and -2) would be able to cover.  More specifically, the reader wanted to know if it was possible to shoot a seven-shot braket set of photos (+3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -3 and -3) with the X100.  Answer:  Yes, absolutely.  In brief, you’ll use the following steps (listed under today’s photo) to do this, and I’ve included a short video tutorial under today’s photograph to walk you through this.  Let me know if this is useful.

1.  Set X100 to Aperture Priority

2.  Make sure EV dial is set to 0 and take one shot at 0 EV

3.  Then, set Drive button on dial of X100 to AE BKT and choose 1 stop increments (as opposed to 1/3 or 2/3)

4.  Now go to the top of the camera and dial the EV down two stops from 0 to -2.

5.  Press the shutter release (this now gives you three exposures (-3, -2 and -1 EV).

6.  Now go to the top of the camera and dial the EV up four stops from -2 to +2.

7.  Press the shutter release (this now give you three exposures (+1, +2 and +3).

8.  Once you’ve done the above, you will have a total of 7 brackets (-3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 and +3).

September 26, 2011 - 12:33

Wayne Frost Fuji camera ought to pick up your image above of the X100, that would make a great image for an ad.

September 26, 2011 - 13:28

Brian Donegan Excellent tutorial sir. What’s the red knob on the shutter release in the vid?

September 26, 2011 - 21:15

Jacques Brian. That little red button is a “soft release”.

September 26, 2011 - 13:32

Jacques Heh heh! Thanks, Wayne. That’s a wonderful compliment!

September 26, 2011 - 19:26

Carter Yeah, yeah, yeah…X100, blah, blah! What is that AWESOME bag it’s resting on! J/K re: the X100, of course….just have to hate since I don’t have $1200 at the moment!

September 26, 2011 - 21:14

Jacques Hey there, Carter! Don’t hate the playa… hate the… Oh, wrong movie. Anyway, that bag is one I picked up in Germany in Cologne from a company called Aunts & Uncles. Love that bag. Fits my iPad 2, perfectly, and still has room for the X100 with the lens hood on, a cable release, a B&W 10-stop filter, a lens pen, a micro fibre cloth, three extra batteries for the X100, an iPhone, a Moleskine agenda, a couple of pens, a bamboo iPad stylus and the camera connection kit to download images directly from the X100 to the iPad. I have it with me ALWAYS!

October 5, 2011 - 10:48

Frank Tona Nice shutter release it matches the camera perfectly

October 6, 2011 - 14:45

Jacques Wouldn’t have found it without you. Thanks, Frank!

April 5, 2012 - 01:19

Craig Thanks for the tutorial!! Where, oh where, did you find that strap??

Cheers

September 2, 2012 - 07:35

Thomas Thank you for these instructions, I have used this page to capture some awesome shots using my X100 for my X100 Blog.

I have found the the X100 to produce great HDR shots, even hand held.

August 6, 2013 - 23:08

Hemanshu Narsana Seriously.. The stop is beautiful. Where did you get it?

November 19, 2013 - 07:31

Barry Great article on the HDR with x100. Is of great help to me.

Can you tell me what the model/brand of the cable release you use?

Thanks in advance!

November 25, 2013 - 17:53

Jacques Thanks, Barry. That’s an old Canon cable release I found in sitting in a odds-and-ends bin in a Camera shop in Redding, California. It was clearly made back in the days of al metal and cloth cable construction because it is a vey solidly build release. Hope that helps.